Friday, April 06, 2007

Another chapter comes to a close

Today was my last day of teaching 1st grade. How sad! I enjoyed being back in the classroom even on the days of total chaos. These 3 months went way to quick.

I did have a rather unique start to my day. So I just get out of the shower and go to clean my ears. I take one of those nifty q-tips and dive into my left ear. Don't you just love that feeling of getting the water and wax out. Ahhhh. When I went to remove the q-tip, I realized that it fell off in my ear. I couldn't believe it. So I got my tweezers and carefully tried to get it out. It was so strange because I was digging where I couldn't even look. No luck.

I thought, well I will just bring the tweezers to work and hopefully someone would help me out. Good news, they could see the end of the q-tip in my ear, bad news they couldn't get it out. I am happy to say that I could still hear and that it wasn't horrible pain, just annoying and later on in the day it began to throb. So I taught with this crazy thing in my ear. It was weird to chew because I could feel it kind of move back and forth. After work I went to the doctor, she used her nifty scope to investigate and then with a pair of long surgical scissors she removed it.

Guess I won't be using q-tips for a while, but what will I use to clean my ears out?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Gina, I'm glad you enjoyed teaching again, though it's kinda crummy that you didn't get to finish the year out. Maybe next year, eh?;)

Crazy story with the Q-tip! Sometimes I use another method (though I still finish off with q tips). The gist of it is that you tilt your head to the side and grab some hydrogen peroxide with one hand and a bit of tissue paper in the other. Pour a little hydrogen peroxide in your ear and cover ear with the tissue. Keep your head tilted (while your ear tickles something fierce) and then tilt your head back the other way after few moments to let the liquid drain into the tissue paper. I typically run a q-tip through after anyway but the peroxide usually does most of the work.

I cannot attest to the "properness" of this method...;)

Anonymous said...

Used to be a teacher, now teach my 3 at home--which is much more fun. :)

I had the same thing happen once. I use the peroxide thing with myself and the kids as well--works beautifully. In fact, it is similar to what the doctor does to clean ears--spray some wrm peroxide and water into the ear with a syringe with head tlted so the wax falls out.

Will not be using q-tips again as recently I ended up in the hospital with a strange migraine--the result of trauma in the ear canal from a q-tip--go figure.