Friday, October 20, 2006

Girls and Sports

My dad loves sports! I remember growing up with my family having the T.V. tuned to the Bulls, Bears, Sox...(those were the dominant teams we cheered on and still do). As a young girl I jumped on the band wagon and didn't think anything of it. I can recall being in junior high rooting on the Bulls to all of their championships and celebrating their victory by the entire family jumping in our swimming pool.

It became apparent to me in highschool and college that girls were not really into following sports as I was (at least none of the ones I hung around). I saw that girls would use "watching sports" to win the favor of some guys and so I in turn would keep it quiet around them. Because for one, I was not trying to impress them because I just honestly liked football, basketball, and baseball. Also, I found out that if I talked with guys about sports they wouldn't take me seriously (not that I know a ton about it, but I do know a bit).

In the past few years my love for my favorite sports has increased. By this I mean I have dedicated more time to watching them and going to the games. For example, this past Monday the Bears were on Monday night football. What a big night, I was pumped ALL day long, I felt like I was jumping up and down on a regular basis because I was so excited. I couldn't wait until the 7:30 kick off. As I watched the pregame show the talk was about the 85 Bears and all their remarkable players. The Bears and Arizona game was fun with it being Monday night and all, but what a terrible and frustrating game to watch.

Recently I talked with some friends of mine and I was telling them about this great football pool I am in (atothegizzo rocks!!!), they were surprised. They had no idea I was so into football. That conversation made me collect my thoughts about this topic and hence write this blog.

So the bottom line is: I don't care that I am a girl and I love to watch sports and I will talk about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you love sports and will talk about it. It is one of the things I like about you

Tory Jane said...

Gina-

I have a similar situation to you. You have a love for sports - which is not something a girl is typically into. Mine is music. I absolutely love music - and I love to know about different bands, artists, instruments, labels, etc. And I LOVE to talk about music... I've found that most girls aren't into music, and if they are, it's mostly just what they hear on the radio.

But I'm with you... I love music, and I don't ever want to stop talking about it. So if you fancy sports - talk away, my friend!