Saturday, December 30, 2006

Poverty or excess

Lately I have been constantly reminded of how much "stuff" I have and this country has. As I made 15 different things for Christmas I couldn't help but think of people who don't even have Christmas dinner or are only preparing one thing for dinner. I had so many different battling thoughts running through my head while cooking like, well it is Christmas, this is what we do, but then I would feel bad that we got to enjoy all of this wonderful food and then had leftovers for days when I am aware that others have nothing.

As someone who enjoys going on short term mission trips I like to be aware of what is going on in other places and be reminded of how extremely blessed I am to have what I do. What I am struggling with is finding how to deal with these thoughts.

An example:

I dream of the day where I can design my own kitchen with 2 ovens and a great stove, and a warming drawer... As I think of that I begin to feel guilty because there have been families that I have served (in other countries) that don't even have an oven, a sink, or a bed....I want to help others, but at the same time I don't think I need to feel guilty for being able to have things.

P.S. I would really like to go on a short mission trip this summer, anyone know of any?

2 comments:

Megan said...

hey gina! i know what you mean. you sound like you've just returned from a missions trip...there are so many options. do you know where you want to go? i have friends in israel and friends who travel/live in india on and off. we are still in CA but will be in chicago in a couple of weeks. we'll definitely have to get together. happy new year! megs

Danny, Leslie, Evelyn & Caleb said...

LESOTHO - Of course our family may be a little partial to Lesotho, and we are always wanting friends to visit... And of course there are the great short term mission possibilities as well =) We will be thinking of you as you begin your teaching as well this semester.
The Hulls Family