Friday, May 12, 2006

Kids

Let me just forwarn you that these are just thoughts that I am working out in my head and trying to make sense of, so they might not be totally clear.

The path that I am on right now has me involved in many children's lives, whether this is through babysitting or substituting. I want to make an impact on these youngsters. They teach me so much like: enjoy the little things in life, not take myself so seriously, simple faith can be strong, and to ask questions and grapple with God and life.

As I subbed today I was reminded about how much I love to influence and teach kids in so many fun and unique ways. The weird thing was that while teaching today I still had no desire to jump back into the teaching world.

I am just trying to figure out how I can still have an impact on kids when I do not see them on a consistent basis. As a teacher I had them for 8 hours, 5 days a week. I see how beneficial building relationships and trust was because a few years later I still have that with the kids. Now I don't feel that I have that with me jumping around from family to family while babysitting.

How do I have an impact when I only spend a few hours a week with some kids? I guess this is the same way with a Sunday School Ministry. You only get to impact these kids for an hour or so. But are relationships built? Will they come to you with questions because they know you love them and can be trusted?

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. I am speaking from my experience and I guess that I respond better to people who I trust, admire, and know deeply. Maybe kids aren't like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»