Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Chicks, cars, and service men

Story#1

For about 2 weeks I needed to get a few things for my car. The first necessary component was purchasing new tires. This is quite a costly endeavour but it had to be done. I was recommended to try this tire shop because they had great deals. I am always looking for a bargain so I headed right over. The sales guy was informative and was ranting and raving about a particular tire. So I decided to go with his suggestion. Four days later I am driving up to Elgin at 6:30 a.m. and my tire pressure light goes on in the car. I pull over and check everything out...no flat...that was good news. So I would do what any normal person does and head to a gas station to check the tire pressure and fill up on air. After I do that I reset the tire pressure light and I am good to go.

Later that night I am driving home and what starts flashing and ringing...the low tire pressure light. Now I didn't mind it the first time because with the cold air and what not the pressure drops, but twice in the same day was not cool. Unfortunately the tire shop wasn't open or I would have gone straight there. So the next day I take it there and the same guy who sold me my tires is assisting me. He runs out to the car and checks the tire pressure and told me that I put 2 pounds extra in a few of the tires. I am thinking, big deal. So he continually repeats his story and is trying to tell me that the light is on because there is too much air. HELLO....I am not an idiot. The light in my car doesn't go on because of too much air but because of too little. Then he says, but one of them is below the air level, would you like us to look at it? Hell yes I want you to look at it. So after sitting for over an hour another guy comes to talk to me. The way he started the conversation was in a way that he was accusing me that I did something wrong. After getting some clarification, he ended up saying that when I got the tires put on the car the worker must have forgotten to put the seal around my tire and scrape my rim. I wasn't too happy to hear that they just didn't do the appropriate work after I paid them a chunk of change.

Story #2

The next thing I needed to buy were some windshield wipers. I had gone to Walmart to purchase them (they would be about $13), but they were out of the size I needed. I did my research and knew what size and which brand were recommended for my car. On my way to school I thought if I saw any auto stores I would stop in and pick up the wipers. So I headed into this auto store where a worker was more than happy to assist me. He looked up in his computer my car type and all that to find the info, despite me already telling him the size and brand that was needed. (I am aware that I don't need that particular brand, most will do). So I see him bring up a whole listing of wipers and then tells me that ones I need will cost me $25. I said well is there anything cheaper and he said only the plastic ones for $3.

Ok, now I am ticked off. This is twice in a week where I feel like it is one of those situations where men are trying to rip me off or not do their job because I am a woman and don't know what they are talking about. I wanted to go over and smack some sense into these workers. Needless to say I didn't purchase any wipers from that store.

No comments: