Thursday, August 03, 2006

Not so forgetful

So I sit here typing to the sounds of the pitter patter of the rain and some David Crowder.

Today I was thinking about how sad it is that I am not using my culinary skills. I have learned so much and am nervous that I am going to forget how to do things properly since I am not using them on a daily basis.

Where I worked, The Herrington, the dishes were very elaborate. I do not cook like that for myself. For me, we are talking tacos, frozen pizzas, sandwiches...nothing fancy. It is too expensive to whip up one of those nice meals.

When I quit my job, 8 months ago, I made a list of all the recipes that I needed to type up so that I wouldn't forget some of the great dishes or basics that I learned like how to saute food or cut/clean huge sides of beef or make sauces. Well I haven't really done anything with them since then, so tonight I decided to attempt to rack my brain. It made me so excited that I was able to recall many of the recipes despite not using any of them! I couldn't believe it. Maybe doing some of those same things day in and day out and were left imprinted on my brain.

I do look forward to being able to cook like this again, maybe just in my home and not the restaurant business. I do not want to see my time and my degree in culinary arts go to waste. I hate that, I worked way to hard to get where I was at in that field. I can't wait to see how this will play a role in my future.

No comments: