Sunday, August 20, 2006

Somethin' I'm learning

Since I was in junior high until now, I have always worked with kids. That would includ: babysitting, being a junior high youth leader, teaching, tutoring...Kids teach me many things, make me laugh, and remind me of who I am.

Recently I have learned a lot about being a mother. Being a mom is such a huge job. There are times when I have left a babysitting job or weekend and am completely exhausted. These women (who are home all day with their kids) do not get a break! Children (especially young ones) require so much attnetion. I have no idea how you can keep the house picked up, do laundry (wash it, fold it, and put it away), make meals, stay on top of the dishes, do errands, shower, get ready, return phone calls...The list just goes on and on.

I can remember being in stores with kids running around and the parents not having a care in the world, they were just down right out of control. It would and still does drive me crazy. I have realized why parents will "let things slip" or "ignore" their child's bad beharvior. Why? Because discipline is a constant, never ending affair, and sometimes you just can't take it anymore and pretend like nothing bad is happening.

Being a mom is an amazing job, a lot of work, but hopefully very rewarding. I know being with young kids on a daily basis excites me to see what they are learning, how they have changed, and to see them become their own person. I am so thankful for my mom. So if you ever see a mom or even your mom needing a helping hand please offer yourself. Help make their job just a little easier.

P.S. I know that some dads stay at home with their kids. So way to go dads!!!

No comments: