Friday, April 28, 2006

I've known that my top two love languages are quality time and words of affirmation. So for those of you who are unaware of what this book/author is trying to portray is that I feel most loved when I get to hang out with the people that I care about and care about me. Whether we do an activity, have a great conversation, or do absolutely nothing, just being with them makes me feel filled up.

Then I've examined what introvert and extrovert mean. I am considered an introvert because I get most of my energy when I am by myself. Like when I get home from being gone all day, I need some time just to myself so that I can relax and think before I am able to go jump into a coversation or hang out with people.

These seem like polar opposites to me. How can I feel loved by being with people, yet need time away from people to get my energy?

1 comment:

Tory Jane said...

Gina,

It IS interesting, isn't it? I'm the same as you - an introvert who's top two love languages are words of affirmation and time spent. I wonder though if we need to be "filled up" emotionally (or re-energize) by ourselves, and that the whole time spent thing isn't about being re-energized, but about feeling loved. Like, I need to have time to myself in order to build up social energy, but in order to feel loved and accepted, I need to spend quality time with people.

I bet introvertedness and "time spent" work well together, actually. When I think of the love language of time, I think it refers to quality time. I don't think of mingling with large amounts of people who I don't know, having really surface level conversations. I think about spending time one on one with someone, or a small group of close friends so that I can spend quality time with them - which seems to be less emotionally draining for an introvert than being with a big crowd of people, or going to a huge party.

Wow... that was a long comment... wonder if it made any sense? Good thoughts though Gina, I love having conversations about this topic!