Saturday, April 08, 2006

Psalters

I just came back from a concert and I am not sure what I think. A friend of mine asked a few of us to go check out this band. Why not, I am always open to new epxeriences. She informed me that they definitely are different...and that they were.

Before the show we all cooked and ate dinner together and listened to some of their songs. They had a tribal and earthy tone. I was very skeptical from what I heard.

Usually when I first hear new music I need to listen to it a few times to see if it's my style. That is the great things about it, is that you judge on what you hear not on what you see.

So we show up to the concert and here is what I see:
-8 band members
-a huge black school bus (which I find out all of them live on it)
-they look like hippies (clothes and smell)
-they had war paint on their faces
-very talented artists-some played 3-5 instruments
-a wide variety of instruments

The music in a weird way was political. Some I thought was fine some I just didn't care for. Some of the songs I didn't have a clue what they were about-eventhough they had the words on teh screen. I saw people worshipping God in all sorts of ways, but I just wasn't feeling it. Then again like I said before it takes me a bit of time to adjust and understand music.

One thing I really did like is their emphasis on the urgency and need to worship God. And...I think that they are better in concert than just listening to their CD.

Check them and their music out...the psalters.

3 comments:

kermama said...

i diggem

Tory Jane said...

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check them out. I'm always looking to listen to new tunes.

Tory Jane said...

alright G, I checked them out... definitely funky. I have to say I kind of dig their sound (at least, the music I listened to). However, I watched the video, and became a little hesitant. Their live shows seem to be "as the spirit leads" - pretty spontaneous. I'll keep you posted the more I listen!